Winterize your home
- Install weather stripping, insulation, and storm windows
- Clean out gutters and repair roof leaks
Check your heating systems
- Have your heating system serviced professionally to make sure it is clean, working properly, and ventilated to the outside
- Inspect and clean fireplaces and chimneys
- Install a smoke detector and test batteries
Getting your car ready for cold weather
- Service the radiator and maintain antifreeze level, check tire tread.
- Keep your gas tank full to avoid ice in the tank and fuel lines.
- Use a wintertime formula in your windshield washer.
- Keep emergency kits in your car in case you become stranded – Blankets, Food, Water, Battery, First Aid Kits
Be prepared for weather-related emergencies, including power outages
- Stock food that needs no cooking or refrigeration and water stored in clean containers
- Make sure your cell phone is fully charged
- In your home keep extra batteries, first aid kits, extra medicine, baby items and cat litter or sand for icy walkways